Spanish Property Ownership Options

If you have decided to buy a Spanish property then before you commit to the purchase, it is worth considering who will be the legal registered owners of the Spanish property at the local land registry. As the purchase costs of a Spanish property can exceed 10% of the purchase price, it is an important to consider this aspect before buying as important savings can be made when it comes to either selling or inheriting a Spanish property.

Under Spanish law, owners can own the legal title to the Spanish property and at the same time someone else can have a life interest in the Spanish property. For example parents could decide to buy a Spanish property in the names of their children and retain a life interest in the property. If you do decide to buy a Spanish property in the names of your children, then consider how to mitigate any of your children divorcing, dying before you or becoming bankrupt.

Also depending on who is paying for the Spanish property a different percentage of ownership can be registered. For example, someone is paying 75% of the purchase price and the other person is paying 25%, well these percentages of ownership can be registered at the local land registry.

A Spanish property can also be purchased in the name of a Spanish or foreign company.

There is no hard-fast rule of advice regarding Spanish ownership options as each person’s circumstances are different.

Contact us today to discuss your Spanish property ownership options and download our informative Spanish property ownership leaflet.

You may also be interested in...
Ask us for a Quote

We know you will want to know how much your legal advice will cost, so we are committed to confirming costs of our services to you in writing.

Join Our Newsletter

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: . You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

The best service anyone could hope for. Professional and an absolutely amazing eye for detail.

Jayson Lewis – April 2021