An NIE number also known as a numero de identificacion de extranjeros or identity number for foreigners is a document that you will require in order to pay taxes in Spain upon the purchase or inheritance of a property or to open a bank account or incorporate a company.
You can apply for an NIE number in person at a local police station of the national police force or we can apply for an NIE number for you using a power of attorney. If you have instructed us to act for you in a purchase of a property, inheritance or company incorporation, we will apply for the NIE for you. If you specifically only need an NIE number and would like to instruct us to apply for this for you, then we will need you to sign a power of attorney in our favour.
If two people need an NIE then they can sign the power of attorney together before a notary. If they cannot sign the power of attorney together, then you will each need a power of attorney.
The power of attorney can be signed before a notary in Spain or before a notary close to you. If you wish to sign the power of attorney in the UK then you will need to do the following:
- Pay the cost of the power of attorney online of 175 euros plus IVA at 21% amounting to a total of 211.75€ using a visa card plus 80 € for each NIE required;
- Complete the power of attorney form online;
- Once you have completed the power of attorney form online you will be sent a draft power of attorney document to read & check. We will also read & check the power of attorney
SIGNING THE POWER OF ATTORNEY BEFORE A NOTARY
- Find your nearest notary in the UK by visiting the website below:
- Send the notary the power of attorney document
- Take a valid and in force passport and two utility bills with you to the meeting with the notary
- Ask the notary to attach a copy of the first page of your passport and of the photo page to the power of attorney
- Ask the notary to unite the power of attorney and the passport pages together and then arrange for the stamp of the apostile of the hague to be attached to the document at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Below is a list of the power of attorney documents you can buy online and the document and information you will need to hand to complete the power of attorney.
- Power of attorney to apply for an NIE
Documents required: in force passport